Friday, March 24, 2017

Bone Marrow Broth


I successfully canned Bone Marrow Broth! I have been researching online its benefits and there are many... like helps with joints, inflammation, leaky gut, good for skin and so on. Also, I found it was good for our fur babies too. So, I headed to my local butcher and got a couple of pounds of bone marrow.

I will revise this blog next time I make it and put pictures. First, I boiled a big pot of water and dropped all the bones in. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes or so. Then got all the bones and put into a baking tray and roasted it in the oven for 40 minutes at 450 degrees. I strained the water and saved it to give to my pets.

After roasting the bones, I put them in my pressure cooker (you may use a crockpot/slow cooker or stove cooking). You need to add some vinegar. I used apple cider to draw out more of the good properties from the bones. Filled my pot with water and I added a quartered onion, some carrots, celery, a couple of bay leaves, and sea salt. It is really up to you how you want to season your broth. I cooked it for 40 minutes in my pressure cooker. Natural release. Then I strained it and put in the refrigerator after it cooled.

The following day, I took out the film of oil on top and ladled them into my mason jars and canned them. I read that you can use the bones again for a second round of broth and it will still come out better than store bought ones.

You may freeze your broth, but I do not have much freezer space. Try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment